lørdag den 26. januar 2008

fooooooooood in copenhagen

my tummy is happy in copenhagen. after all, being a cook, food is my life and it is practically impossible for me to not find the best food no matter where i go. on sunday night, my lovely roommate mia cooked an interesting stirfry seasoned with basil and herbs de provence, not a spice blend i would have chosen but i can appreciate danish interpretations of international classics. it was real cute when a couple nights later she offered me some ketchup for my spaghetti.

it took about four trips to various grocery stores to find most of my staples. it took some searching, but i did find some balsamic vinegar for my salads. i made dinner for mia the other night and she loved my homemade balsamic dressing; she'd never heard of using a vinaigrette on a salad.

i've been hearing rumors of greengrocers who carry exotic spices and cheaper produce. it's my new mission to seek one out and make some bangin' indian food.

i was quite impressed with the quality of the fransk hotdog at 711. given, i was starving at the time and hunger is the best spice, but the sausage had a nice bite to it and more depth in flavor than the typical american hotdog. i LOVE the remoulade! it seems that most danes arent aware that remoulade is actually a french sauce.

i'm still working my way through the list of danish favorites. i've tried karry sild - a bit slimy but overall delicious; buhlbrød (spelling?), the heavy, dark wholegrain bread which is really delicious, filling and healthy and i've been having smøresbrød for lunch every day.

so far, adapting to the danish way of dining has been a tasty and relatively seamless transition. can't effing wait to try it all!

Ingen kommentarer: